You can view Littleton Chambers' profile in full here
Katherine Apps, a disabled barrister (2006 call) at Littleton is looking for an assistant to help with work, getting to court, taking attendance notes, page turning etc and managing heavy papers. The role also involves working internally for chambers on paralegal tasks, business development, marketing, administrative matters. This is an unusual position and an excellent opportunity for someone intending to become a barrister to learn more about self-employed practice and life in chambers. It would most likely suit someone filling between BPTC and commencing pupillage.
Salary: £20,000 per annum
Full time from January 2016 to July 2016
Katherine practises mainly in public, employment, commercial and regulatory / disciplinary law (based in London but countrywide). Her assistant will attend with me (amongst other things):
- Within chambers;
- Courts and tribunals;
- Client conferences;
- Lectures/ client events (sometimes in the evening);
- When we work from home (near Waterloo Station).
Applicants should (amongst other things):
- Have an interest in pursuing a career at the Bar, especially in my areas of practice;
- Be keen and able to help out generally in chambers with administrative, paralegal and business development support tasks;
- Be able to type quickly and accurately;
- Be able to proof read to a high standard;
- Have excellent organisational and time management skills;
- Be able to travel to courts/ tribunals / conferences up and down the country (often at short notice) and be able to stay overnight including Sunday nights, sometimes for multiple nights (travelling expenses, hotel etc covered);
- Be able to carry (sometimes heavy) papers;
- Occasionally push a manual wheelchair (13kg);
- Have the right to work in the UK;
- Be flexible, calm under pressure, adaptable and 100% reliable.
It is an advantage to hold a full UK (or equivalent) driving licence at least:
- Held 3 years
- With no points and
- No accidents/ claims in the last 5 years.
You can view Katherine's chambers profile here
Applications must include CV and cover letter.