Location: Police Headquarters, Portishead
Hours: 37 hours per week
Scale 4 (£19,521 - £21,618 per annum)
The Legal Services Directorate of Avon and Somerset Constabulary is excited to be offering an ambitious and motivated individual who has a real interest in pursuing a career in police law the opportunity to work as a paralegal within the force.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a large, friendly and supportive team, with excellent work life balance and an opportunity to make a difference to the community in which we serve. You will have the opportunity to work in a department where billing and cost targets are a thing of the past, and where new priorities to protect the vulnerable and provide advice to the force are important.
This role is ideal for an ambitious, self-starter who is looking to gain excellent legal experience within a well-recognised, and highly experienced and respected in-house police legal team at a time where Police forces are facing a changing and challenging landscape.
You will be supported in developing your police legal career whether you wish to gain further qualifications, qualify as a solicitor or obtain/enhance experience in advocacy.
Legal Services Directorate
The Legal Services Directorate provides legal advice to the Chief Constable, Chief Officers, Senior Managers, operational police officers and staff of Avon and Somerset Constabulary.
• Advice on operational policing matters including Football Banning Orders, Forced Marriage Orders, Proceeds of Crime Act, dealing with disputes as to ownership of property seized by police.
• Civil protection orders (such as Sexual Offences Prevention Orders, Domestic Violence Protection Orders, Anti Social Behaviour Orders)
• Employment Tribunals and Employment Advice.
• Advocacy at civil court hearings
• Advice on procurement, governance, employment and pension.
• Litigation including civil claims in all courts
• Judicial review
• Disclosure of documents (including for family court purposes)
• Contract and commercial
• Legal queries relating to data protection and freedom of information
The department consists of both Lawyers and Paralegals.
We are recruiting for a Paralegal who is pragmatic, solution focused and able to think on their feet.
The team covers a wide range of work as set out above and the role will involve supporting the department’s lawyers with their caseload.
Exact responsibilities will depend on the sector you join, but the types of tasks you can expect to carry out include:
1. Contributing to Investigations and drafting documents under supervision.
2. Actively handling low value claims against the Chief Constable.
3. Drafting advices to enable Lawyers to advise officers and police support staff and partner agencies in relation to civil applications in the Magistrates’ Courts
4. Preparing papers for urgent applications in relation to civil protection orders such as DVPO’s and FMPO’s
5. Make simple applications in the Magistrates Courts in relation to uncontested matters and applications in civil or employment matters undertaken in chambers.
6. Provide day to day support, including research, to the Lawyers and Senior Lawyers.
7. Responding to general advice queries from across the Force on a wide range of issues reporting to the duty lawyer.
Interviews are scheduled to take place on: 25th and 26th June 2018
Closing date for receipt of applications is: 8th June 2018
To instantly download an application form and receive up to date vacancies, please visit our website Paralegal - Avon & Somerset Police